Building a Better Brain
The health of the brain determines much of our experience of life, influencing our moods, our intelligence and the overall quality of our life.
Maintaining brain health throughout life should be a top priority for all of us.
Here are 6 keys ingredients to help promote a healthy brain and mind:
1. Exercise and challenge your brain – Your brain is similar to a muscle, the more you exercise it the more powerful it becomes. You can train your brain by choosing appealing and challenging activities such as crosswords, puzzles, learning a new language, and by challenging yourself at work.
This supports the new innovative theory of brain plasticity, the brains ability to change itself. This works exercising the region of the brain that is deficient, stimulating neurones to redefine neural pathways and networks. This is also something Kinesiology does exceptionally well.
2. Nourish your brain through good nutrition – Include protein rich foods, fresh vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, coconut oil and drinking a least 8 glasses of water each day to provide key nutrients for healthy brain function.
3. Regular physical activity – Enjoy regular exercise and movement to build better brain health. Regular exercise well into old age has been shown to enhance learning and memory, along with reducing age and disease related mental decline.
4. Stress management – Ensuring that you take the time out to relax is extremely important for brain health, because excessive stress can impair memory and brain function.
5. Sleep well – Are you counting sheep in order to sleep? Sleep is important for repair of both body and mind.
6. Nutrients to Nourish The Brain – Omega 3 essential fatty acids from fish oil have been shown to improve cognitive function and to be very effective for protection against age-related mental decline.
A multivitamin can also help to provide vital nutrients for brain function. Vitamins and minerals improve energy, support metabolism and nervous system function and promote better brain function.
Replenishing the brain with antioxidants is also a great idea to help reduce the damaging effects of oxidative stress and aid in the prevention of age-associated memory impairment. Great antioxidants to help support healthy brain function include resveratrol, vitamin C and vitamin E.
The health of our brain is so important for quality of life, and keeping our brains healthy is something we should all be focused on. With the six simple steps outlined here, you too can have optimal brain health for life!
If you would like to find out more about how natural medicine can help you or a family member, we are happy to assist you in any way possible.